It’s almost Hike For Health Day!
PLEASE READ carefully for important information:
– Due to the incredible amount of rain we have been having, we have had to
reroute approximately 1 km of trail on the Nipigon side. Please follow the
signs to avoid ankle deep water and mud! Bridges may have uneven
boards, so please cross with caution.
– DRESS IN LAYERS. The weather is going to go from near freezing to 15 C
tomorrow. We also recommend bringing a change of socks and footwear
for after the hike.
– IF you registered ONLINE you must sign a waiver at registration (or bring
one in that you printed at home!) ALL HIKERS must pick up a tag to “tag
out” at registration.
– DOGS on leash are welcome on the hike, but are NOT allowed on the
– Meeting time is 8:30 am at the Nipigon Marina. Shuttle buses will take
hikers from there to the Nipigon Community Centre for
You CAN drive directly to the Community Centre (buses will start heading to Red Rock trailhead around
9:10) HOWEVER please note that you will then have to walk to the
community centre following the 10 km hike to retrieve your vehicle as
there are NO shuttle buses to the community centre following the hike.
– PROPER FOOTWEAR is a must. This is a wilderness trail with black diamond
sections. At the very least, wear runners. But we recommend proper
hiking boots with ankle support.
– FOOD – Once again, Rotary Club will park it’s smokie booth at the Nipigon
Trailhead. Burgers, hot dogs, smokies and drinks will be available for
purchase. All hikers will receive a 15% off coupon for lunch at La Luna Cafe
(valid Sept 28th only).
– WASHROOMS are at the Nipigon Marina, Community Centre, and at the
Red Rock Trailhead.
It’s going to be a beautiful day tomorrow! Have fun, see you on the trail!
About the Hike For Health
Every year on the last Saturday of September, the Hike for Health is held along the Nipigon River Recreation Trail in order to raise monies for local needs.
Last year, 128 hikers participated raising $5,604 for local organizations. This, in addition to $2,000 from the the 2017 hike, was disbursed earlier this year as follows:
$1,000 Residents Programs- NDMH Long Term Care
$1,500 Land of Nipigon Waterways Development Association
$ 500 Rendezvous Ski Club
$ 500 Norwester Voyageur Trails Club
$1,500 Brass Bell/EarlyON Centres Dorion, Nipigon, Red Rock
$ 690 Hike For Health Micro Grant Program (Edge Arts, EarlyON, Township of Dorion)
$2,000 Nipigon Rotary Club
To view a map of the Nipigon River Recreation Trail, and for further details on other trails in the Nipigon area, go to www.nipigon.net/visitors/trails